Join me in my journey to live better for less

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Frugal Beauty Tips

If you've been reading my blog you know about my dental problems. Now I know you're thinking, what the heck does that have to do with frugal beauty tips? Well, I have been taking a lot (and I mean A LOT) of Aleve for pain and I wanted to make sure I flushed it out of my kidneys so I've been drinking tons of water. Guess what? My skin, which is usually plagued by adult acne, is clearer than it's been in a LONG time. I know it has to be the water. I do normally drink water but probably not enough. My skin looks so much better and I even think the fine lines that I had seem to be reduced. Amazing.

Since we're on the subject of frugal beauty tips, I have a few that I'd like to share with you. Everyone should take time to pamper themselves and make themselves look and feel gorgeous. How can we make taking care of ourselves a priority without unloading hundreds of dollars at the cosmetics counters? There are quite a few ways to save money on looking great.



Use witch hazel as astringent. It's very cheap and can be easily found. Just use it the same way you would any commercial astringent.

Vaseline - I LOVE Vaseline. I use it to soften the skin on my knees and elbows. I put it on my feet then cover them with cotton socks overnight to help with dry, cracked heels. Vaseline is also great to use as a lip gloss. And speaking of lips, add some sugar to your Vaseline covered lips and rub with your finger for a couple minutes. This will exfoliate your lips and keep them smooth and soft.

Get enough sleep - This is completely free and not only will you look better, but you'll feel better too. Sleep is the body's way to recharge so make sure you get at least 6-8 hours a night.

Unscented baby wipes - Baby wipes are great for removing makeup. REALLY. I use them all the time. Why buy prepackaged commercial brand makeup wipes when these work just as well for a fraction of the cost?

Wash your hair every other day - Unless your hair is extremely greasy, too frequent washings can strip hair of essential oils.

Stay soft with a homemade sugar scrub
Mix-
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1/8 cup vegetable oil
Before your shower, rub this all over especially elbows, knees and feet. You probably want to do this while standing in the shower otherwise you'll end up with a sticky mess.

Save money on cosmetics -

Ask for for free samples at department stores and shop drugstores. CVS has a lot of great deals on makeup and you can even earn extracare bucks!

Become a representative for a company like Avon or Mary Kay. Not only can you earn a little extra income, you can also save on your own purchases.

Do your own nails. It takes a little time and practice but it definitely pays off in the end. Search the internet for details on how to do your own manicure. In my area a manicure is between $25 and $40 so the savings can add up fast.

Buy products from a company with a good return policy. I'm not sure if they still do but Rite Aid used to offer a no questions return policy for makeup. I know Cover Girl will refund you if you're not satisfied. Do your homework before you buy.

Read reviews before making a purchase. If there's something specific you're looking for such as a great moisturizer or a new foundation, check out sites like ePinions and read beauty blogs for reviews on the latest cosmetics.

Buy cheaper makeup. A lot of the high price brands have you paying extra just for the name. When you compare ingredients, you'll see that many of the lower priced items are basically the same as the pricier ones. Aziza, Cover Girl, Bonnie Bell and Wet n Wild are a few brands that have some really good products that aren't expensive.

Beauty Supply Stores - These places are a wonderland for anyone who wants to save money and look great. I could spend hours inside Sally's Beauty. I can buy anything from products to highlight my hair to makeup sponges for really great prices. There's even a SallyBeauty.com Clearance Center to help you save even more.

What are your frugal beauty tips and ideas?

5 comments:

  1. Hi there! Thanks for your comments on my site.
    This tip of mine is a bit embarrassing but here I go: I have combination acne prone skin so when i have an oily patch I take a wee bit of toothpaste and smear it on. It gives a very tingly-minty sensation and it dries out the oily patch. Then i have to use Oil Free Moisturizer. My face is so complicated lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use tomato paste as a mask...Witch Hazel as an astringent...sugar and olive oil to exfoliate with...I do purchase my moisturizer (on sale)...

    My hubby never knows what he can eat and what I'm going to use for skin care...grin...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've sometimes used the white paste (not the whitening kind) Colgate on a pimple to dry it up. The kids sure make fun of me but it works!

    Also, when I was a teen I was using cucumber slices on my eyes because I'd seen it on TV. I put them on plastic wrap while I ran to the bathroom and when I came back to get them, my little brother had eaten them! He was such a goober.. come to think of it, he still is ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. okay thats really cool, about the water. I was hoping do be done with breakout by now... and im not. I have these horrible visions of having to by clearasil and depends in the same shopping trip one day soon. and its not fair. shouldnt you be done with acne before you start peeing when you sneeze?

    so how much water are you drinking?

    speaking of peeing when you sneeze...
    tracy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Depends and Clearasil? Ha! Too funny. And here I thought maybe if I kept my acne, people would think I was younger.. Then again, teens have acne but most don't have gray hair, right? Anyway..
    I have been drinking almost a gallon of water a day. I don't recommend that for everyone though - especially if you're "leaking".I'm not drinking anything but water right now. No soda, milk, nothing... so a gallon of water in 18 hours isn't too difficult to consume.

    ReplyDelete